Museum of London

Floating Collection at The Museum in Docklands

Consultancy contract to supply a condition survey and feasibility study for future conservation and collection care and practical on-going conservation service.

Varlet is a Jubilee Class Tug built in 1937 by James Pollock and Co. Ltd, Faversham for the London Lighterage Company Vokins and Co. She worked in the West India and Royal Docks and on the River Lea.  She remained in service until the early 1980s.  Varlet was secured for preservation by the Museum of London on 5th August 1986.

Knocker White was built for Harrisions (London) Lighterage Ltd in 1924 by T.Van Duijvendijk at Scheepswerk Lekkerkek, Netherlands. She was launched on 23rd May 1924 and named Carnrock.  In 1962 she was sold to W E White and Sons and was renamed Knocker White.  She was bought by MOL circa 1985.

Perseverance IV was built in 1935 by GJV Edwards and Son of Dapdune Wharf, Guildford.  She is a Towed Wey Navigation barge of timber construction.  She was one of 11 barges built for Wm. Stevens and Sons and carried cargos from London Docks to Coxs Lock Mill, Weybridge.  She was sold by William Stevens in 1982 and ended her working life cable laying in the Regents Canal. Ownership of Perseverance IV has now been transferred to the National Trust and can be seen on display at Dapdune Wharf, Guildford.


Knocker White

 Perseverance IV




Copyright © 2024 Ian Clark Restoration  |  All Rights Reserved
Ian Clark Restoration
1 Railway Cottages
Old Station Road
Itchen Abbas
SO21 1BA

t: +44(0)1962 779495
m: +44(0)7836 536932
e: ian@ianclarkrestoration.com