ian@ianclarkrestoration.com

Elliot Colliery Winding House

Consultancy contract to supply a preliminary conservation report and method statement for the winding engine as part of the future redevelopment programme for Caerphilly County Borough Council.

Engine no. 603 is a twin tandem compound built in 1891 by Thornewill and Wareham, Burton on Trent.  The engine was ordered by Powell Duffryn Steam coal company Limited and supplied to Elliot Colliery East Pit, New Tredegar Caerphilly, Wales.  The engine was originally supplied as a 2 cylinder simple horizontal engine with Cornish type valve gear but in 1904 it was altered and uprated by adding 2 additional cyclinders operated by way of Corliss Valve Gear.  The engine was the prime mover pit winder and remained in service until the pit closure in 1967.

 The engine on display today

A detail from the engine house

Archive images of the engine during commercial operation

A rare surviving detail of original engine sign writing

 

 

 

Copyright © 2022 Ian Clark Restoration  |  All Rights Reserved
Ian Clark Restoration
1 Railway Cottages
Old Station Road
Itchen Abbas
Winchester
Hampshire
SO21 1BA
UK

t: +44(0)1962 779495
m: +44(0)7836 536932
e: ian@ianclarkrestoration.com
www.ianclarkrestoration.com