Fire Queen, Penryn Castle, Bangor - The National Trust

 “Fire Queen” is a 0-4-0 locomotive built in 1848 by A Horlock & Co. for the Padarn Railway and was based on a patented design in 1847 by Thomas Crampton.

The railway connected the Dinorwic Quarry near Llanberis in North Wales with the port at Y Felinheli. The locomotive was one of two supplied and is the sole survivor from the railway. Fire Queen continued working until the late 1880’s. After being taken out of operation the locomotive was stored in a shed in the quarry.

After the closure of the quarry in 1969 the engine and tender were purchased by Sir John Smith MP and subsequently placed on loan to The National Trust. They are now on static display at Penryn Castle Railway Museum.

The locomotive is a very rare and historically significant survivor from the pioneering age of steam traction. Ian Clark Restoration was contracted to carry out a condition survey of the interior of the tender water tank and submit a conservation method statement.  Subsequently, ICR was commissioned to carry out the conservation cleaning and stabilisation of the tender water space and the application of a protective coating.




Copyright © 2024 Ian Clark Restoration  |  All Rights Reserved
Ian Clark Restoration
1 Railway Cottages
Old Station Road
Itchen Abbas
SO21 1BA

t: +44(0)1962 779495
m: +44(0)7836 536932
e: ian@ianclarkrestoration.com